Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Total Eclipse of The Heart....Um...Sun......

Yesterday marked a very auspicious day for Hindu devotees in South Asia. The longest solar eclipse of the 21st century happened in the early hours of the morning. I read an article in the newspaper about expectant mothers who were praying that their unborn children would NOT be born yesterday, as this would be a sign up bad luck for their families (I can't imagine the miracle of life being considered bad luck) The devotees observed the solar eclipse through specially-designed viewing glasses as they take holy dips in the sacred river. Millions watched this once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon yesterday. I actually didn't wake up in time and it was also cloudy where I am staying so I didn't get a chance to directly see it. These pictures are courtesy of a friend of mine that I worked with in Abad. This week has been an interesting glimpse into the heart of the culture.

A picture of the sun being almost totally covered over. Some places it was 100% covered. I was annoying Heather yesterday because I kept singing "Total eclipse of the heart..."
These glasses remind me of those 3-D glasses we got at the movie theater as a kid.
This is at the holy river that I visited several weeks back when I was living in Abad. They worship things that they fear here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: