I have been living in my new apartment for two weeks. My complex is situated at the end of a dirt road that bumps up right next to a villiage. Every day I am greeted by curious onlookers as I walk down our road, which we have lovingly dubbed "Pothole Lane". Even my neighbors in the complex are curious. I am surrounded by several sweet families, each with distinct personalities. There is the downstairs "Mamaji" with big eyes and a personality to match. I can't understand much of what she says but its not for the lack of trying. She will get right up in my face and talk very loudly. I need to learn how to say 'I am not deaf' in Hindi. She seems to be the neighborhood busybody. One morning, I woke up to her brown face pressed up agaisnt my kitchen window. I need to buy curtains. But, she always has a warm smile for me and always makes sure I am eating ok.
Then, there is her daugher, Vicki. Vicki knows the most English out of the bunch. She is a new mom and is proud as punch of her little boy. She patiently listens to my broken Hindi and always says 'today you are getting better'. I am looking forward to us being friends.
There is also my next neighbor, Mindy, with the kind face. You know how some people just have those 'yes' faces? They have one of those faces that says 'yes, welcome into my life". Even before I met her, it struck me that she has a 'yes' face. The first night I was in my flat, I heard a knock on my door. Out of the darkness came Mindy's voice. In broken English she tells me 'water has come now', meaning, that fresh water had been refilled into our tank. My heart was touched by the fact that she went out of her way to help me.
There is my landlord, Mr. T. He is retired zoology professor and speaks excellent Hindi. (I can actually understand him the most) He is interested in art, music and literature. He doesn't seem to remind repeating things and he patiently endures my consistent request to "dheday dheday bolea" (please speak slowly) He is a father, grandfather and a husband and his protective spirit has been a blessing.
What do all these people have in common? They need to know of our Father. They need to hear His Story.
2 comments:
Amen.
We are praying that they will! We love you!!!
Post a Comment