If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast
Monday, April 4, 2011
Navratri
Yesterday, was the beginning of another religious festival. With so many deities that they worship, its hard to keep all the festivals straight. I feel like I am stuck in a Greek novel. The beginning of autumn and the begining of spring are two important events in the lunar calender here. So, around here, they take these times as opportunities to worship the divine mother Shakti. Navratri represents celebration of the goddess Durga, the manifestation of Shakti in the form of energy and power. (I don't bother to keep it all straight so don't feel bad if you are confused) This festival lasts ten days with the various forms of Durga being worshipped with fervor and devotion. Navratri is celebrated four times a year for 10 days, right now they are celebrating what is called Vasanta Navratri (the beginning of summer) I thought it interesting that the goddess Durga is known as the "inaccessible one" It just makes the fact that HE died and rose again so that we could have ACCESS to God so much sweeter. Keep in mind the folks of South Asia these next 10 days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment