Saturday, March 3, 2012

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time....



Since Spring lasts all of two seconds around here, I decided that today would be a good day for Spring cleaning. Houses here don't have huge storage places. So, sometimes the best you can get are these built in cubby holes. And my apartment has one on top of my guest bathroom. In my 2 1/2 years of living here, I have just pitched things up there and left it alone. But today I thought it seemed like a good idea to clean it out.

So, I used my ladder to climb up there and I started pitching thing out onto the ground. Well, I didn't realize it at the time but every time I pitched something, I moved the ladder further and further into the bathroom that you can see in the picture. When I was ready to come back down the ladder...I realized....I could no longer reach it!

I sat down in the dusty cubby and tried to figure out what to do. Whenever I get nervous, I have this habit of incorporating more names for God into my prayers. I pray "Oh Jesus Father Lord Jesus God...." and so on. The more tense I get, the more names I add to the list. So...I sat there and prayed "OhGodJesusGodLord...help me figure out what to do".

I decided that I would rather break a leg than my head. I figured if I landed on my feet and broke something, I could at least drag myself to a phone and call someone. But if I landed on my head I was out of luck. As I sat there in the dark cubby, contemplating my future...I thought about people from the days of yore who found themselves in much more dire circumstances than mine. If David Livingstone can fight a lion.... by golly, I can figure out a way to get out of my cubby.

I then focused in on my inner Olympic gymnist...and flipped myself up in the air. Using all of the upper body strength I could muster..I did a couple of "Hail Jesus"s, did a double leg pommel type thing and slowly lowered myself down far enough so I could safely drop. Relief flooded my soul as I realized that indeed...I would not have to drag my broken leg across my apartment to get my cell phone after all.

All of my muscles in my upper body started aching immediately so I took some medicine and rested from the morning events. Later in the day, I told some friends about what had happened. My friend said "next time you get up there, take your cell phone". Good Call. Don't try this at home kids.

4 comments:

J, H, I, C, and G said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Marc & Amy said...

oh my goodness!!!! What a story! I was holding my breath just reading it!!

The Reeds said...

Niiice!

Jacob Reed said...

Oh Cathy...what a hilarious story. Couldn't stop laughing!