Monday, August 13, 2012

Changing Shape

I will always remember that Sunday morning when the world went topsy turvy. It was New Years Day and I knew that I was sick. I turned to my friend in church and said "hey, I need help". And the next thing I knew we were leaving M Town and traveling to the capital city to the hospital.

Earlier that day, I had made a veggie salad that is popular among the expats in South Asia. The recipe is simple. Its basically fresh veggies that is marinated in a sweet vinegar dressing. And it was sitting in the frig chilling during church. And there it sat for about 3 months.  I had no idea that I would be in the capital city so long. When I finally was able to return home...I remembered the salad! Oh no!  I slowly opened the refrigerator door...not knowing what to expect. And there the bowl still sat. The cucumbers, carrots, green peppers, etc had all been marinating for  months.  Their shape had changed but overall, they had been preserved. If you didn't already know that it was 3 months old...it looked almost edible. Of course... I  immediately threw it away (including the bowl...just wasn't sure what had been growing in there..)

 I have thought about that salad a few times over the years. Those veggies had marinated so long in that vinegar that their shape had literally changed. Their very composition had changed. Not just on the outside- it had soaked all the way through.  I was thinking that those veggies are a lot like our walk with the Lord. If we marinate long enough in His Word, if we put to test what we hear long enough...it soaks all the way through.. And while it can hurt at times...we still are preserved. So, my prayer is that we can marinate...soaking up His Word..in hopes that our shape can literally be changed.

1 comment:

J, H, I, C, and G said...

Oh I hope so, too. I really do...