So, I had some extra curtain material left over from some curtains I had made. And my neighbor had the idea that I should have the curtain material made into clothing. And the song "The hills are allliiiiivveee with the sound of music..." came drifting into my mind. I should show her that movie sometime. Anyway, that prompted me to think about a few of my favorite things about this place.
1) In 5 months, I have never had to iron my own clothes. I can get them pressed for literally pennies here. I get them back very neat and nicely folded.
2) The veggie man comes right to my complex every morning. I just have to call down from my veranda what I want and he brings it to me. If I don't have the exact money, he lets me pay later.
3) Some things are just easier to buy. We needed a band aid the other day and was able to walk into a pharmacy...and just buy ONE band aide.
4) I have funny thoughts in my head like "huh...that elephant is going faster than me..." (I thought this one day when I was stuck in traffic and saw a work elephant pass by)
5) I was on a four hour train ride the other day and got served a meal, two snacks and chai.
6) I get fresh preservative free produce here for CHEAP
7) I sometimes get the obvious question, "are you a foreigner"?? and it just makes me laugh. I have been trying to think of some clever response but cleverness alludes me in the situation.
8) Getting lost here is more of an adventure because EVERYONE wants to help the lost white girl.
9) I never have to worry about how I am going to get rid of things. People from my neighborhood always want what I am about to throw out. My trash is always someone else's treasure.
10) I like it how they repeat words here for emphasis. Like Sueba" is morning but "sueba sueba" is early morning.
11) I like it that my language helper gives me sweet hugs every time I see her
12) I like it that my neighbors DELIGHT in what I consider small things. Like, I gave my neighbor an Excedrin once and she went on and on about the "strong drug from America" Or duct tape. I helped tape up my language helper's torn sarwal pants today and you would have thought I had given her a 100 dollars.
Anyway, its not a complete list. But it's just the little delights that remind me of His grace.
1 comment:
I loved that post, Cat!
Post a Comment