Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Different Kind Of Christmas

I just had a very unique Christmas unlike anything I have ever experienced. I helped my coworkers put on a three day celebration for some local friends. We all stayed together at a conference center that resembled a dorm.We had stories, singing, food, games, and decorating. We taught them about worshipping the living God and the future hope that awaits those who believe in Him. We talked about the true meaning of Christmas. We baked, talked and laughed. They searched their souls and talked about the things that were on their hearts. Some of them were pretty needy. Some of them had sad eyes. And all of them have hard lives.

At times I found it maddening. They were dirty. They sometimes didn't get it. They didn't understand my Hindi. I was confused alot. My two roommates didn't hardly know a lick of English. It was stressful, trying to function in a language that I barely know. In some ways, it didn't feel like Christmas at all. But then, in other ways, it allowed me to focus on the redemptive story of God becoming flesh. And I saw that Christmas is not about a feeling but a Person. By the end, some of the sadness had gone out of their eyes. I stopped noticing the dirt. Instead, I saw hope as they learned about the One who carries their burdens. As my coworker dropped me back home, the car load of nationals called out "Happy Christmas Catchy"!! Joy swelled in my heart as I waved goodbye. Happy Christmas.

1 comment:

john & ellen said...

wow. a very moving and honest portrayal of your very different christmas...and so appropriate that there was a lot of dirt, much like a cattle stall... merry christmas, catchy! i lub you!