Friday, July 16, 2010

People From The Street

This week I have consistantly not slept well. I only get about 3-5 hours of sleep every night. So, I have sorta settled into a general mood of grumpiness. Its amazing how quickly my own sin and selfishness is revealed during times such as this.



However, the people who live along our little road always keep it in perspective for me. They hardly have any earthly possessions. A recent rain storm has ruined what little they do have.. But there they are- cleaning, eating, playing with their kids. Never grumpy. Or too busy to say hello. They are always kind. The whiteness of their teeth contrasted with their dark skin makes their smiles radiate.



As I walked home today, a little hunched over lady greeted me. I hadn't seen her in awhile. She asked me where I had been. 'I went to America to see my family', I said. We talked a little...about family, about the rain. She gave me a smile and a bobble of her head as we parted ways.



One young mother is a recent addition to the street. Her and her family live at a nearby construction site. "what is your name"? I ask. "Hindu" she says. "HINDU? You're names Hindu, really??" I respond. She says 'NO my name is ENDU'. We share a laugh.



As I approach my aparment building, kids sitting on a pile of rubble call out my name. "Hello Cathy. Hello Cathy" I respond "you learned my name, how clever you are'! That was the only encouragement they needed to start screaming CATHYCATHYCATHYCATHY. "ok..ok" I say as I walk away.



So, there they are. Just people living their lives as normal in my little corner of the world. I read recently that this area has one of highest concentrations of poverty, more than all the African nations combined.



Somehow my lack of sleep doesn't really matter and the grumpiness seems trivial. The people from the street reminded me of some good lessons- Never be too busy for a hello. Smile. Be kind. Stop and talk about the rain. Learn people's names.

1 comment:

Jill said...

hey beautiful, i miss your smile. and your internet wisdom! :) i hope you're doing well. BIG HUG for you.