If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast
Friday, May 6, 2011
In A Lightening Storm
Last night, we got caught in a lightening storm. I didn't take this picture but this is what the skies looked like. Its wedding season and we got invited to a wedding. Our old language tutor, Hope, had a wedding in her family. Hope is notorious for not really giving us important information over the phone. So...I called her to confirm. And she said "come at 7 to my house". Hope lives along a muddy raven by the water buffalo. I DID wonder in my mind how she was going to have a wedding at her house. The day of the wedding, Hope calls. "Come quickly NOW" she said. Well..there was just no way to come quickly. I had to drape my sari on me...a task that takes awhile...
When we finally ventured it, the skies were looking angry. Oh man... I had already put that blasted sari on. So, we persevered. We went down to the corner interaction and hired us a tempo, (which is kinda like a riding lawn mower with a little sitting area on the back).We were quickly trying to bargain the price and get in. A pesky man kept saying "excuse me excuse me excuse me...are you from here"?
Ugh...look buddy...I am wearing a sari...we have to go walk in the mud...its about to start raining... I kinda chuckle at people here. They will stop you for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING no matter what the current condition is...all war could be breaking lose and invariably, someone would stop me and ask a question like "so... what kinda music do you like"?
We finally reach Hope's muddy little lane. But there is no sign of a wedding. Lightening is now lighting up the sky. I am feeling nervous. The water buffalo are getting restless.I call Hope. No answer...of course a neighbor stops us...wants to chat...(in the lightening storm...)
It is finally discovered that the wedding is actually in a different location (remember I said Hope sometimes forgets to give us important information sometimes) Only in South Asia will a wedding location change on a dime....
By now, we have to pull out our umbrellas. We decide its just not worth it. We want to head back home. So, I call our tempo driver (who had decided he was hungry so he had left) We stand there on the side of the road, waiting for our tempo buddy to finish his dinner...in the lightening storm...
And wouldn't you know it...a young girl recognizes us. I think I had met her before but I don't remember She comes over to us and stands under our umbrellas. I can barely hear her over the rain. The lightening is full force now. Loose electrical wires everywhere.... And of course the girl....wants to chat.
Our tempo friend finally shows up. We get in and laugh about the evening. One thing I can say is that life is never boring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment