Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lowering My Expectations

I had a wise coworker tell me once "lower your expectations". At first, I thought it sounded like odd advice. But as time has passed, I see how true his words really are.

Lower my expectations. That means be ok with the dirt that constantly clings to my walls and ceilings. Leave the dishes for the morning. I could spend my entire life trying to clean.


Lower my expectations.That means that sometimes circumstances in life will be hard and just plain disappointing. But short term circumstances provide a poor measurement of the long term character of God.


Lower my expectations. That means be ok with the fact that I don't speak perfect Hindi by now. I will continue to stumble over my words. Some people will continue to think I am not very intelligent. I need to think about what I CAN say, not dwell on what I can't.

Lower my expectations. That means-stop dwelling on what I think I can accomplish for God. He doesn't actually NEED me. His primary concern is to show His glory in my life and amoung the nations. Busy-ness is not actually a spiritual dicipline. Just pray and wait for Him to tell me what to do next.

Lower my expectations. That means- being ok that I am just not as young as I was. My hands are getting wrinkly and there always seems to be dirt underneath my finger nails. Stop trying to find a different haircut to make myself feel prettier. Stop worrying about how much weight I have gained or lost. Be happy that the Lord is redeeming my heart.

Lower my expectations. That means- of other people too. Let them off the hook. Other people have bad days too. Why do I always want mercy for myself but justice for others? Show more grace.

So, in these final months, I am choosing to lower my expectations. Living life in the moment, letting Him take care of the rest.

No comments: