This is an addition to the story about the woman with the polio that we visited a few weeks ago
Yesterday, it was laid on my heart and on the heart of a coworker to go visit our friend who spends her days laying on a cot in a musty room. We called to let her know that we were coming. And after I heard what she said on the phone, I was so thankful that we were going to visit. Our friend had been feeling especially low. In fact, she has gotten so depressed that she has been having suicidal thoughts.
My coworker and I prayed fervently on the way to her house.
Lord, help us to speak into her darkness.
As we arrived at the house with the bright blue doors, we saw our friend. Someone had pulled her cot out into the sun. Our friend looked up and tried to manage a weak smile. Her face screamed with pain. She looked at us with defeated eyes.
The conversation was awkward at first. After all, WHAT can we really say to this girl??
We decided to play the game "21 Questions" The game turned a dark afternoon into a lighter one.
We went around the circle answering questions. What is your favorite color? What is your favorite food? When is your birthday? As we got around to our friend with the polio she said "January 28th"
January....wait what??? That's TODAY!
This girl had been on our minds and we were both lead to go visit her...on her birthday! And so of course our next question was "what is your favorite birthday memory"?
The girl answered "I have never celebrated my birthday. Its a waste of time".
After all these months, I would have thought that my heart couldn't possibly break any more. But I know I felt it crack in that moment.
It is NEVER a waste of time to celebrate life.
We went on to ask each other more questions. The girl thought of a question herself and asked "if you could take anything away from this entire world, what would it be"?
We took turns answering as we went around the circle. It came time for her give her answer. It wasn't what I thought she would say...
"the ability to walk"
"a straight back"
"no more pain"
But instead she answered...
"I want to have the ability to meet God"
Her answer cut me to the quick. We spoke with her about the God who came down to meet HER. The God who knows her name and celebrated the day she was born.
Just as before, when we left, there were tears in her eyes. She has been on my heart and mind ever since. Pray for this dear soul. I have asked, no BEGGED for a miracle in her life. Won't you join me?
4 comments:
with you now, cathy. what a beautiful heartbreaking story. thank you for responding to His call! He makes no mistakes.
With you all the way. We had/have a sweet friend much like this. When I sing songs about dancing with him and being made new my heart always breaks with joy and hope for them... it means so much more in that light. I'm so thankful that you were moved and OBEDIENT to go and visit!!
Keep it up.
Let it shine...
Oh Cathy I will be praying for this young lady that she finds a way to celebrate life. Thank you for listening to Him and His promptings.
I am going to pray for a miracle. Every day this week and as often as the Lord puts her on my heart (as He has before). Please keep us updated on her story, k?
Post a Comment