Monday, January 23, 2012

The Shoe Thief

Sometimes its hard to navigate these murky waters. I am confronted daily with the reality that the Lord says "what you do for the least of these, you do unto me". I am confronted daily with dying to selfishness and giving up my life because He gave up His. However, sometimes I just don't know how its really suppose to work.

There is this woman who comes very often to my door. She has legitimate needs. She is a single mom, working hard to support her kids. She always comes with a desperate look in her eye. I know I have written about her before. Every time I see her small face poking through my screen door, my heart just sinks.


A few weeks ago, it came to a boiling point. She asked for money. I gave her some flour instead. She didn't like my flour. So I gave her some tea leaves instead. She didn't like my tea leaves. I gave her some rice. Or kooch?? she asks (something more?)


I told her she could come back and clean my ceiling fans if she wanted some extra money. She seems happy with that so she comes back later that day. I hand her a bucket and rag and encourage her to get started. She complains as she climbs up the ladder. "Your fans are dirty"

"YUP", I say....(I don't think that translates)

After a few minutes of watching a half hearted effort, I pay her more money than the job is worth. As I start to tell her goodbye I look down...and she is wearing my shoes. She. is. about. TO STEAL MY SHOES!


That's it. I hit my limit. Normally, my Hindi gets worse at times like these. But, with unusual clarity I tell her....

"Take off my shoes. I am not a store. My name is Cathy. I have a family. I am a human. I have blood running through my veins just like you do. STOP taking advantage of me. THIS is why I don't give you more work".


Tears overflow in her eyes. I know I have shamed her. She responds "but you have other shoes" and I respond "but its wrong to steal, take them off NOW". She knows she is wrong. She actually would NEVER do that to another South Asian. She would get fired in an instant and never allowed back into some one's home. But there is always the 'white person exception' to the rules around here.


She leaves without making eye contact.

I can't sleep that night. I toss and turn with these thoughts running through my brain... Was I wrong? Was I too harsh? I AM suppose to give my tunic to the one who doesn't have any. Isn't that what He tells us to do?? But doesn't He also say..if they ASK for it...she didn't really ask.....but then again...I don't really even like those shoes...UGH...but its the principle of the matter...

I talk it over with a few people who have dealt with this stuff for years. My friend reminded "yes we are supposed to give to the poor but we are also suppose to love justice. And its wrong to steal in this culture too."


This afternoon I hear a knock at the door. The same small face. Well...I'll be. SHE CAME BACK! I would never NEVER want to show my face again if I were in her shoes..(.oh wait...she was in MY shoes..)

I am not really sure what she wants but I know what she needs. The next time she comes, I pray that I will be ready.

Pray for this lady...this annoyingly- persistent- potential- shoe- thief who needs His love. Pray that I can be a vehicle of that love to her.

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

Oh CAthy.. it's actually so good (I'm sorry for you) to read that this is similar in other cultures too. This was what we dealt with EVERY day, 20-30 times a day. It wore us down... (as you can completely understand). Not just in a physical way but in a "What in the world am I supposed to DO with this?! kind of way". And you can't find books to help really... Luke 6 was a thorn for me.. the tunic thing? Oh help me father. I'm just now coming to realizations about it. I'm doing the new BM study on James and it's actually helping... a lot. I'll be lifting you (And her) up. I actually had a similar instance only it was a homeless little persistent child who was trying to take my shoes OFF OF ME while I took food to a homeless, hungry, crippled, widow. Oh how to have a heart like him in a flesh like mine...

Marc & Amy said...

Oh my. I have no words. Sounds like you are handling it well, my friend. (loved your hilarious comment towards the end-- "oh wait, she was in my shoes") Weird that you mention this problem as we are dealing with similar questions/issues (though not to that extreme) here... trying to figure out the balance between loving messy people (b/c we're all messy) & also setting limits, etc. Love you!!!