Saturday, December 20, 2008

I Have Learned

This next week I finish up at my nursing job at Baylor. These last few days I have been thinking about what that is going to look like in my life. Not only am I finishing up a job... I am starting a new one that is not directly related to nursing. I have done nothing BUT nursing since I was in college. Working as a nurse has taught me a lot about God, people, faith, pain, and myself.

When I first started out in nursing, I was actually 6 foot tall but now I am only 5'3" because I have literally walked my legs off being so busy.

But seriously... one thing I have learned is that you can really tell how a person has lived their live by watching how they die. I have seen the best and worst in people. I have seen the best and worse in myself. I have looked into patent's eyes and seen death but I have also looked into their eyes and have seen hope.

I have learned to see God not only in grand cathedrals but in the face of His children who are scared, hurting and poor.

I have learned that the hospital- issued gown is the great equalizer. CEO's of companies, VIPS of society, mothers of newborn babies, homeless men off the street....they all have to put that same colored gown on. They all fear the unknown and are looking for answers.

I have learned what God means when He asks us to serve without grumbling. There are times when I became frustrated because I felt like a servant. But that small voice would remind me "You are MY servant".

I have learned that hospitals at night are a bit spooky. Lights are turned off, people go home, act ivies are ceased. And its quiet. I have more time to think. And I think I notice the sadness more.

I have learned to be thankful for the gift of laughter. People in the medical world have a sick sense of humor... both patients and workers. I see God's grace in the ability to laugh in the midst of hardship.

I have learned that sometimes the best thing to do is just listen. I have stuck my foot in my mouth enough times to realize that just giving a listening ear is the best medicine.

I have learned that this world is ultimately under God's control. He alone determines the time of life and the time of death. Of course He gives us the ability to run tests, give antibiotics, perform procedures but ultimately HE is the one in charge.

I have learned what the valley of the shadow of death looks like. I have heard the wales of those who lost their loved ones. Its been a constant reminder to me that we live in a fallen world. Its forced me to put my hope in the Giver of hope. And I have prayed many of times for His return.

So... nursing...you have been good to me. I will return because you are apart of my heart now. So, I will just say goodbye for awhile.

2 comments:

Marc & Amy said...

Okay, you've got me a little choked up now! Love it when you reflect, Cat. I loved your comment about the gown being the equalizer-- so true & such a powerful image. You'll always be a great Nurse Cat!

john & ellen said...

ditto, cathy--great post! i love you!!