This is something I wrote right around Thanksgiving a couple of years ago when my mom was still really sick. I think alot about God's redemption, especially during the holiday season.
" I was standing in line at Luby's on Thanksgiving Day. My dad was chattering to the man behind us in line. I smile faintly at the stranger so I won't appear rude. But my mind is a million miles away. A sadness resides in my heart and I can slowly feel the sting of a tear in my eye. Its not really enough to form a full teardrop but still...its enough. My strong, stressed out dad tells the Luby's lunch lady what his order is. The Turkey Meal deal! He turns to me proudly and says "I ordered an extra pumpkin pie for us, I figured it was worth it". Its strikes me as sad...ordered our Thanksgiving dinner from Luby's. Mom really can't cook this year and my dad thought it would be a nice gesture to take care of the food for her. Its sweet really...seeing him be a loving father and husband...trying to make the best out of a bad situation...thats my dad. It becomes our turn in line and the Luby's lunch lady hands us our packages of food with a smile. I notice a yellow slip attached to our cold yet already cooked turkey...the slip read "paid in full". Huh...paid in full... My sorrow, my pain, my sin, my Thanksgiving dinner at Luby's...all paid in full. The redemptive message of the Cross lingered in my mind as we headed across the parking lot with our Turkey Meal deal. I never thought I would find God's grace on a cold turkey."
1 comment:
Cat, I love the way you write and express things. Thanks for posting this. I really miss you and can't wait to see you in Jan.!
Post a Comment