Thursday, December 25, 2008

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

This is my last Christmas in the States for awhile. I have tried to treasure each day that God has given me. Everything has a bittersweetness to it. I have been praying that we would all know His presence this Christmas season.

As I was sitting in our church's Christmas Eve service, the lyrics to It Came Upon a Midnight Clear really touched my heart. I often times don't really pay attention to the familiar words of Christmas songs. But this time...I really listened. The last two stanzas really stuck out to me.


Yet with the woes of sin and strife
The world hath suffered long
Beneath the angel strain have rolled
Two thousands years of wrong
And man, at war, with man, hears not
The love song which they bring
O hush the noise, ye men of strife
And hear the angels sing

For lo! The days are hastening on
By prophet bards foretold
When, with the ever circling years
Shall come the Age of Gold
When peace shall reign over all the earth
Its ancient splendors fling
And all the world give back the song
Which now the angels sing


So right now we don't have peace on earth. There is NOT goodwill to all men. Right now the Love Song gets lost in the noise. But listen...just listen. Grace dwelt among us. And one day, very soon, He is coming back! There will be peace... This world is not my home. There is very definitely something wrong with this place. Oh but one day..one day soon... peace will reign and we can spend eternity listening to the Love Song.



No comments: