Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Left Side Of The Road

They drive on the left side of the road here. They even walk on the left side. Its hard to remember sometimes, I always seem to bump into people. At first it seemed backwards and awkward. But this week, I caught myself just naturally gravitating to the left side as I walked along our dusty path. Most things are still awkward. But even though so many things are confusing, I have moments when things seem 'normal.' The left side of the road is not so foreign to me now. My relationships and interactions have a degree of familiarity to them.

There are two sisters who live around the corner from me. They sit outside on their front porch in the evening. When I walk by, its a guarantee that they will want me to stop for a visit. Their consistency and warmth is a comfort to me. This morning, I watched TV, ran errands and drank chai with one of my neighbors. Although we are SO different in multiple ways, we talked about things that crossed cultural boundaries. Family. The value of a good friend. Relationships lost. So, I am adjusting. Contentment is creeping its way into my heart. And for this, I am thankful

No comments: