Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A quote from a dear friend- "sometimes God just gives you these moments....so its ok that there is alot of blah blah blah in between"

So, this week has been a bit of a blah week. Nothing too special really happening. Just language learning and relationship building. And yet I am just always amazed that the Father ordains moments in time where I just KNOW I am supposed to be here. And one of those moments happened this evening.

Today marks a special day for the ladies. This is the day where they get dressed up in their wedding clothes and fast all day long. They do this to bring blessing and long life to their husbands. Many jokes are flying around theses days about "why would I want to give long life to my husband"?? But, nonetheless, they still dress and fast to impress.

One of my neighbors here was telling me all about her plans to get fancy and fast for her husband. I told her I would drop by her place and see her all dolled up. So, when I got home this evening, I went to her apartment. She met me at the door. And true to her word, she was dressed up like she was on her wedding day. But her face was as white as a ghost. She was trembling and sweating. "MINDY, whats wrong??" I ask. "I am not good. I have been having bad stomach all day and all night." She proceeded to tell me that she hadn't kept anything down all day. And yet she insisted that she couldn't break her fast until she saw the moon.

So, I sat with her...waiting for the moon to appear. She started to do her worship while I was sitting there. She prayed to the laminated picture of her god

We finally made our way up to the roof. "Only 15 more minutes" she said. There was a group of women who were already there doing their worship. Mindy just stood over to the side, too weak to really participate. I put my arm around her to hold her up as we looked to the heavens. In an unguarded moment, I asked her "is all this worth it'? She didn't answer. As I held her, I prayed out loud for her.

Sure enough, about 15 minutes later, the faint glow of the moon appeared. Trembling, she knelt down and performed her worship. Afterwards, we quickly head back down stairs so she could eat. Her husband met her at the door, complaining that she hadn't cooked dinner yet. The unspoken irony lingered in the air.

I went to Heather's house and borrowed some re hydration drink and brought it to Mindy. I sat with her as she slowly drank it. And I was thankful for this chance to love on her and to pray for her in His Name. So, even though this has otherwise been a "blah" week...it doesn't really matter. Sometimes God just gives you these moments

.

1 comment:

Marc & Amy said...

Wow. A beautiful moment indeed. So glad you can be His arms to her.