Monday, September 20, 2010

Fruit

Recently someone brought the topic of fruit up. In the circles I run in, there is alot of talk about fruit. The fruits of our labour. 'How fruitful is your outreach'? people ask. We talk about fruit in terms of 'numbers of decisions made'. And of course that's all wonderful. But someone brought it to my attention that in the Word...that's not what fruit is. Fruit has more to do with my character than it has to do with numbers and good works. How do I act when nobody is around? Was I kind today to the man who sweeps my porch even though he tries to rip me off? Did I gossip today? Real fruit, the kind that will last, comes from abiding in Him. And so today I choose. I choose love..joy..peace...patience...

1 comment:

J, H, I, C, and G said...

That someone was so, so wise... :)