Saturday, June 23, 2012

Going to Kroger's

I am missing fresh fruits and veggies. So I went to Kroger's. I was overwhelmed at the selection. And the prices. I admit I did buy some mangos, for a dollar a piece. YUMMY. Worth it  but can't do that every day. When I got home, I was thinking about how familiar yet strange that experience was. A store run overseas was very different and more stressful. I thought about the good and the bad aspects of it. For me to go to the store overseas, I would have to walk down a dirty, pig filled road. I would walk out into an hectic street and flag down a bicycle rickshaw, hoping I would get a good one. I would avoid eye contact and hope that nobody called me a bad name that day. Once I got on the rickshaw, I would hope that he could understand my Hindi. Hope that my clothes didn't get caught up in the spoke of the wheel. Hope that we didn't have a wreck. Hope that he wouldn't try to scam me or take me somewhere I didn't want to go. I would get to the store, get my purchase and then repeat the process to go back home. I often got back to my apartment exhausted. Just to get food. And of course, over time, I got used to it. It wasn't so bad. I made friends with the owner of the pigs. The insults became more annoying than hurtful. I ended up enjoying my little store and the shop keeper. I would smile when he slipped a few chocolates in my bag. It was all very old school and quaint.  I got to know the rickshaw drivers. It became routine.

But being back home gives me perspective. Wow, I got used to some hard things. What was abnormal had become normal to me. And it has left its mark. I walk into Kroger's. And I don't make eye contact. I keep my head down and hoped that nobody would call me a bad name. Oh wait...I am in Kroger's...in my home town. I stand in line, prepared to fight for my spot. And then realize that I don't have to push  and so I zone out while waiting for my turn. The guy in line behind me looks at me. My initial thought? What is he looking at? What is he going to say to me? What response will I give? Don't make eye contact...Don't make eye contact. And then I realize...oh wait...I am in Kroger's. The guy was just looking at me because I was in his line of vision.

Its my turn in the line and I smile at the check out lady. Is she going to cheat me? No, instead, she asks for my Kroger card. I don't have it so she asks for my telephone number. Why does she want my number? Is she going to use it to give to her brother who is looking for a wife? Oh wait...no...she just wants me to get my discount.

I leave and think about how its funny...but then its not really. 

2 comments:

Jill said...

Sweet, Cathy--your stories are so raw and inspirational. Thank you for your honesty. Love you very much. When you have time, I'd love to see you and hang out.

--Jill

J, H, I, C, and G said...

Cath, this sums things up so well. This is why we come back tired and why, in the end, it's so hard to explain to people why we're a little weird now... I love you.