I simply can't believe how fast the time has flown. For three years I have been thinking about this date. The day I go home. In about 6 hours I get on a plane and head across the pond. I was crazy busy up until about 2 days ago so I haven't had the chance to let it sink in. But. Now. Its. Sinking. In.
My last days in M Town were busy, sad, happy, disappointing and hot. I had the chance to have a lot of good goodbyes which was wonderful. I moved to my new place and met some new people. And then, suddenly, it was all done. I found myself headed to the Big City to fly home.
The last two days I have spent in the home of a couple who have become like parents to me. We have laughed, watched movies and had chocolate ice cream for dessert. Its been a good place to spend my final days. I also had the chance to help the wife through a medical procedure so it was nice to put on my nursing hat for awhile.
I am on a roller coaster of emotions. I am happy to be going home but also nervous. What if I don't fit anymore? What will I talk to people about? The thought of Cosco's and IPhones and inside jokes overwhelms me. I just finished helping with a volunteer team. And I actually found myself relating better to my South Asian friends than to my own countrymen. I found myself being annoyed that they complain a lot but then felt like an hypocrite because I complain a lot too. Oh dear...I could be in trouble.
Last night I stayed awake worrying. Its something I have been doing since the third grade. I lay awake the night before a big event and think about all the things that will probably go wrong. I get up in the middle of the night to check the location of my passport for the billionth time.
And so thats it. Nothing profound or funny to say. Just nervous. And wondering if there will be any good movies to watch on the plane. And looking forward to cheese.
2 comments:
Come visit us... We will give you all the cheese you want.
I still don't have an iphone, shop or shop at costco. ;) We are praying for your adjustment back to the U.S. God will walk it with you (as you know) and you will touch lives here for what you've learned over there.
Post a Comment