Thursday, January 15, 2009

Disturb Us O Lord

"Disturb us, Lord, when we are well pleased with ourselves, when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little, when we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore. Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly, to venture on wider seas where storms will show your mastery; where losing sight of land we shall find stars. We ask you to push back the horizons of our hopes; and you to push in the future in strength,courage,hope and love" Sir Francis Drake


I spent a good portion of the day today with a lovely friend from church. I was sad to leave her. It hurt my heart when I realized how much I would miss her. I asked God "is this your will for me?" Its interesting... at the first of hint of pain, I would ask that. Of course I knew the answer even before I finished the question. I am so thickly wrapped in my soft and padded life. I wish to feast with Him but I also must be willing to fast with Him.

One of my favorite quotes comes from the movie Steel Magnolias. Julia Roberts plays the part of a diabetic woman who longs to have a baby, despite the risk. Her mother scolds her for having such a dream and Julia says "I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a whole lifetime of nothing special". That goes the same for me. I would rather have 30 minutes of living with reckless abandon, forsaking it all for the cross... which will lead to some pain... than a whole lifetime of nothing special

1 comment:

J, H, I, C, and G said...

What a beautiful post. I wish I had written it myself because it exactly sums up my own feelings. Thanks, Cathy. I love you!