If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
God And 911
Just recently, the doctor increased the dose of my brain swelling medicine. I have been calling them my "brain swole" pills. At first the side effects are just yucky but as the days have passed, I have kinda settled into a new normal. Well, yesterday, I just started having weirdo side effects again. My hands and feet are tingling. I am getting leg cramps. My face broke out in a rash. My eyes started twitching. Stuff like that. I looked it up on the Internet and it said " if you get numbness and tingling in your hands, feet, have leg cramps, or get a rash, contact your doctor immediately" So, I was left with the question 'should I take the next dose'? or 'should I wait it out until morning. But if I wait it out, will my brain start swelling again??? There is no urgent care center here. There is no 911. I started thinking about how nice it is in the States to have 911, to have excellent medical advice at our fingertips. We trust in God.... AND call 911. I told Hannah the other day "wow, we really at the mercy of the Lord". And she reminded me that even in the States, He is still as sovereign. Its just that its easier to forgot because there are so many "saftey nets" built into American society. Fortified bread. Seat belts. And I for one and THANKFUL for all of these things. But I guess I didn't realize that I had placed part of my hope and trust in them. I trusted God AND.... And in this situation, the familiar saftety nets are gone. Typhoid is just still so unknown to me. (Is it SO...1880's). And we tend to fear the unknown. So, I continue, as always, in this mixture of fear and trust, laughter and tears, doubt and hope. I am reminded of that line in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe where they say "whoever said "anything about Aslan being safe??... But He is good".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Cathy, I am constantly inspired by your insights. I know you may not see this yet, but your experience with typhoid is adding so much to your ministry. As the scripture says, "in all things, give thanks". Continuing to pray for you,
Rachel
Cat, I am so sorry you are having to go through this, especially without the "safety nets." I wish I could be there to just give ya a huge hug & sit on the couch together with some DP. Keep us posted about what the doc's said about those side effects. Don't want that brain swelling up too much-- your head's already too big. ha! :) Love you.
Wow, we know exactly how you feel (minus the typhoid and brain swelling)- but the issues of being away from our comforts and emergency calls.
We're lifting you up.
Post a Comment