Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mexican Food Snob

Since I am in the big city for doctor appointments, I am taking advantage of its culinary options. There is this Mexican food restaurant here called Sancho's. I have heard mixed reviews. Some people hate it. Others have said "its not too bad". And there are others who seem to like it pretty well. The thing is, I am pretty much a Mexican food snob. I decided to lower my expectations and actually try it out. And I would have to say 'its not too bad'. Yeah they put green olives on my nachos but.... it could be worse. Tonight, the owner proudly came out and offered us a free dessert. A chocolate tamale. He said "this tamale is AUTHENTIC Mexican, have you had ta-mal-es before"? "Oh yeah sure...lots of times..." I said, as my eyes glimmered with a hint of Mexican food snobbery. He quickly changed his tune. "Well, I mean...I sorta made up this recipe...its more of a modern dish... We took a few bites of our chocolate tamale. And it wasn't too bad.

3 comments:

john & ellen said...

awesome! i'm glad you went for it and then told us this story!!! you should make it a theme for your time overseas to try mexican food across asia...my family tried that on vacation once, but with chinese food. what we learned: no good chinese food to be found in nebraska.

jordan said...

...It's so rough to know the glory of mexican food and then try others attempts at it. Although, did you ever eat at the Tex Mex place in dubai, opened by a texan? it was in the "pretty decent" category. :)

the.feeblefutts said...

We made the mistake of going to Sancho's our first week of being here. That wasn't even time for our leftovers back in the states to go bad! We were really disappointed.
The funny thing is now we love it! We've eaten there probably a hand-full of times since our first experience... Is it sad or cool how the taste buds change?