If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Growing up, I got really hooked on old I Love Lucy episodes. I just thought she was funny, always trying to get into Ricky's show. Well, one episode, her and Ethel are working at a chocolate factory. And they can't keep up production. So, they start eating the chocolate before it gets too overwhelming.
I feel like I am in the same spot as poor Lucy. Chocolate after chocolate keep coming at me. And by chocolate I mean...hard stuff. I WISH that God spoke to us through chocolate...buts its usually through persecution and trials that He speaks to us the loudest. This week, it just got to be too much. I got overwhelmed. I got angry. I wanted to run. I found myself being motivated by guilt...not by love.
What did I do? Well, ate some chocolate of course. But also, Heather and I decided to retreat to the hills. We live about four hours away from this cute little mountain town. We checked into a nice hotel and just vegged for two days. One of the nice things about South Asia is- you can afford room service. I enjoyed the quite. I enjoyed the clean. I enjoyed the lack of people. One day, we took a little walk and I found myself sitting on a bench in a beautiful little church courtyard. While sitting there, I just spent time concentrating on my surroundings. The mountains, the grass, even the monkeys. I looked at all the colors, sights, and sounds around me. And I just knew..I KNEW that God loved me.
So, I have come back down off that mountain. And the circumstances haven't changed. I still have to face some difficult things .But I pop another chocolate in my mouth and rest in the fact that His love is enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
the retreat sounds wonderful and much-needed!! a chance to go to a "lonely place" and just listen and rest.
Post a Comment