So I packed up my trunk and my dad and I are headed to Virginia. He wanted to help drive me so that I will have my car during my two months of "boot camp" as he calls it.We left a few days early to visit an aunt in Wadesburo, North Carolina. This is the location I am currently writing from. We are staying in a shady hotel at the edge of town. The hot water works but only if you turn it on from underneath the sink. Rusty stains line the bathtub and despite the 40 degree weather... the heater doesn't work and there is no blanket on my bed. My dad is apologetic but I remind him that its only preparing me for what is ahead.
I am so glad I am going on this road trip with my dad. We are sharing the driving responsibilities but more importantly we are creating memories. He talks to me about politics, family, life and John Wayne. I read to him random facts about the cities that we are passing through and try to explain to him the marvels of my Ipod.
We have this family tradition of singing 'The Battle of New Orleans" every time we cross the Mississippi River. As we approached the Mississippi, with childlike glee, I ask "are we going to sing it??" Dad knows what I am talking about. In off -key unison we start singing 'in 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip...." And my dad tells the same joke that he has always told...how do you spell Mississippi with one i? He then covers up one of his eyes and starts spelling "M-I-S-S-I..."
We get to my aunt's house and she has a great home cooked meal for us. I haven't seen her in several years. I sit on her coach and listen to her chat about her kids, her disappointments and her jewelry. She gives me a left over bottle of lotion because she is afraid I won't be able to get any of that overseas. I hide my smile and I thank her for her thoughtfulness.
As the day ends, I feel content. I am thankful. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
2 comments:
Coots, how excited am I that I get to see you tomorrow? Very excited. Girl, I have been SO SAD lately. You will cheer me up.
Ok, not tomorrow. Tues.
Post a Comment