Friday, November 5, 2010

Diwali 2010

Its time again for the Festival of Lights or otherwise known as Diwali. Its a time of celebrating the conquering of good over evil. Small little oil lamps called diyas are displayed all around the neighborhood. Lights and flowers are also strung up on houses so it looks alot like Christmas. At night, people shoot off fireworks. Its a time for people to get together,worship and eat sweets.

Unfortunately, my camera broke so I have no real pictures of it this year. But I found this picture thatcaptures what it looks like around here.

Today, I dressed up in a sari and passed out sweets to everyone. Women here are very opinionated about how to drape the sari. Each area of the country seems to have their own style. I had women "fix" my sari 4 times throughout the day!

This year, I concentrated on just trying to love on people the best way I could. I drank lots of chai and ate lots of sweets. I finally just had to tell people diabetes runs in my family so I need to be careful! That excuse didn't work very well but you can't blame a girl for trying.

I am ready to get out of this sari but otherwise its been a good day!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: