Monday, March 29, 2010

Mutiny!

Last Sunday we visited a church in M Town with a bit of a colorful history. It was built in 1819 by the British who occupied much of the land north of the city. There was a revolt in 1857 when the British ordered all the bullets to be covered in pig fat. As you can imagine, the local soldiers under them were repulsed. The bullet wrappers had to be opened by biting them off and the pig is considered an unclean animal to basically most religions here. So, there was a mutiny. They figured what better place to start a mutiny then at a church? This is the one place where the British commanders would be all together...without their guns. I heard that you can still see the bullet holes in some of the pews. After the mutiny, they placed racks at the back so the British could bring their rifles to church. It was interesting to visit. The people were nice. Ironically, I met a guy from Boston there. On the rickshaw ride home, I was thinking about another, less violent, revolt against the Brits. One thing that our country has in common with this country is that we both kicked the British out. ;-) I don't care though, I still love the Beatles.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: