Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Coming Bridegroom

I went to my first wedding here in South Asia last week. I asked Heather to come along with me and it was quite the cultural experience. We arrived at around 9pm and we were considered EARLY. Weddings here are quite extravagant and they last several days. The banquet hall was lined with white chairs. Up on center stage there were two ornately decorated chairs where the bride and groom where meant to sit. The back of the banquet hall was lined with tables of food. We mingled for awhile and ate things of uncertain origin and content. We eventually made our way back to the bride's chambers. This is a picture of Heather and I with the bride. The traditional colors for weddings are gold and red. Apparently you are not suppose to smile when you get your picture taken with nationals ( I didn't get that memo in time, that's why I am smiling). And the bride is not to look happy. A lot of times brides really aren't happy because she is leaving her family probably for the first time in her life. I asked this bride how she was feeling and she said "overwhelmed"

Perhaps the most meaningful insight came to me when I learned about the role of the bridegroom. The bride waits for the groom in her chambers. The groom comes from his house riding a white horse and goes to the waiting bride. In this particular wedding, he came in a parade. After a lot of waiting, we saw the parade and I thought "oh wonderful, he has finally come" And my thoughts turned to coming of our Bridegroom. After all this waiting, one day we see Him come. What a glorious day that will be!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Marc & Amy said...

Wow. I just got chills. That was a fascinating post! It's so interesting to hear about weddings in a different culture. (and too bad you gotta stop smiling!)